Happy New Year to you and your family. Let’s hope 2016 is better than 2015. At this time last year, I was bleary eyed. My family and I were in Africa and the people that worked at the place we were staying were up until 3 AM partying incredibly loudly. I didn’t get much sleep! Already, a gunman has opened fire in Tel Aviv.
I think the tech world is working on some amazing things when it comes to virtual reality, internet of things, sensors, and in health. But, they are a few years away from really becoming mainstream and having a huge impact on our lives. 2016 will look more like the past than the future. I think 2018 will become a pivotal year when inventions that are being perfected now reach the masses. I like to say “They promised me flying cars and all I want a cell phone calls that don’t drop.”
I hate to do predictions, but here are a few.
- 2016 is going to be a very volatile year when it comes to terrorism. I think it will be the most volatile on record.
- America will elect its first Hispanic president
- It will not be a good year for the stock market, but it’s not going to crash.
- Tech investors will happily say goodbye to the $6M-$10M valuation for a seed round.
- There will be fewer tech companies seeded in 2016, but the same amount of money that was invested last year will get invested.
- Tech companies will finally start to IPO
- Nothing will get done in Washington because election year. Both parties base voters will be upset with their elected representatives.
- Alternative schooling will get more traction along with alternative credentialing
- There finally will be a killer app for Bitcoin
- Chicago will come into its own as a tech community
- Rahm Emanuel will still be mayor of Chicago in 2017. But, it will cost him.
- 2016 will be the year of the Cub in baseball, and a Big Ten team will win the NCAA championship in basketball.
Do you have any predictions? Would love to see them in the comments.